I don’t want people to like you. I want them to be obsessed with you.
When people like you…
- They engage halfheartedly.
- They follow you, but never buy.
- They are interested in your work, but they want you to help them for free.
But when people are obsessed?
- They watch every one of your Instagram stories.
- They sign up for every single one of your programs
- They send you updates on their life and how you’ve helped change it.
Look at brands that have cult followings – Apple, Disney, Starbucks, Vans, Harley Davidson – and you’ll see they have something in common…
They activate people’s social identity.
These brands each represent something that people want to be a part of.
People don’t just buy Harleys because they’re solid motorcycles. They buy them because it associates them with a group. Harley actually capitalized on this by creating a community within the dealerships where people could meet up for rides and swap stories of travel.
One of the things I loved most about majoring in both Marketing and Management is that so much of what we got to study was actually psychology.
This was powerful, because it helps us better understand the people we want to serve and sell to.
And the truth of sales…is that most people buy emotionally.
They don’t buy because your program has bi-weekly calls, or because they found out eating cold foods negatively impacts their digestion.
They buy because they want to FEEL something.
Let’s translate this into the life and health coaching industry…
- People don’t just want to lose 20 lbs. They really want to feel sexy, in love with their bodies, and how they think losing 20 lbs will make them feel.
- People don’t just want to get off the pill. They really want to feel natural, holistic, and more in tune with their bodily rhythms.
- People don’t just want to get into alignment. They really want to feel confident and empowered.
How you make people feel is up to you. It’s a part of your brand.
Here’s how I think about this with my own audience.
- I want you to know you’re a visionary who is changing the world and feel like you deserve help in building it.
- I want you to feel clarity, as though the clouds have parted and you know exactly which next step you’re ready to take.
- I want you to feel like your leap into entrepreneurship is worth it, because you’re getting recognized, rewarded, and feeling fulfilled in your work.
How do you want your clients (or to-be clients) to feel?
Sit with this. Seriously. Get into meditation or hop into your journal and visualize this. Then go make magic happen through every interaction you have with your audience.
xo, Rachel Jeffries Murphy